Thursday, August 6, 2009

Aug 5th & 6th Recap More details later

Hi Guys,

I know I skipped a day. That day was a very jam-packed day. Micro catch-up:

Anyone remember my story of Steve on the Repo in Cabo? Well, on our flight to Cusco, the plane hnas to do an almost 360 degree turn which made Steve very sick. He was sick the next day. At an altitude of almost 11,000 ft, I felt the atitude almost immediately. I ended up by the end of the night having to take oxygen. I got the sickness. It last well into the night but like the trooper I am (ROTFL) I went to the wonderful natice dance of Pachemama. More later after I get to a computer that does not have a waiting line.

We are at the Sol & Luna Lodge which is really nice but folks, it is rural and folks? No TV. Yup!

So anyway, yesterday we did a weaving demonstration which I was totally capitavated with an Andean child. (They prefer not to be called Indians. They prefer Andean) and later that evening the wonderful Andean dance. Description and photos to follow

Today,. I felt a bit better but I still took an oxygen treatment. Went river rafting and after all the hubbub, it was agctually nice. I went river rafting down the Arkansas River in Co 15 years ago and that was a bit more "exciting" Its safe if anyone wants to go. Lunch was catered by the S>ol & Luna Lodge at a "hotel" later then we went to an Incan Fortress ruin. Its amazing. The rocks are cut so close WITHOUT morter that you can´t even fit in a credit card - I know because we tried! LOL >Pictures to follow later

We were joined today by a family from LA that missed a connection flight (they flew from LA to Miami) and got in at 4 am the day we left for Cusco. More details later.We welcomed them and then went to the ruins.

Dinner was on our own as the Jr Explorers had movie night. I didn´t like the foold - I originally ordered a "corn soup" which was the size of a shot glass and a green tamale (corn) and shirpmp. Steve ordered Rigatoni with wild mushrooms but yours truly had a difficult time with it so I had to order a la carte which really threw the waiters for a loop because they got all puffy saying that I would have to play for it - well DUH! So I ordered off the kids menu - chicken fingers and french fries. The potates down here are of a sweet variety even thoough there are over 4000 varietes and they originated them.

BYW, voting is mandatory here in Peru every 4-5 years. If caught not voting you are flagged and fined the equivalent of $45 US dollars and banned from buying or renewing anything governmental.

SO, after dinner, I found my way up to the one copmuter and waited a few minutes to get on. I will sign off now so as to check some other stuff.

TTYL!

1 comment:

  1. Altitude sickness is a b**ch. I had it once and I'm glad you rebounded so quickly. How is Steve doing? CAn't wait for the pictures.Today is my birthday and I would love to be back on the ship to get yet one more cake. lol Even tho they were way too sweet. Enjoy. Sorry about dinner :(

    ReplyDelete